RACC WEB 115 Class #10 Lecture
Discuss selected aspects of graded Project #1 assigments from previous WEB 115 students:
Begin Ch. 5 lecture
Layout of a page with tables, frames, and/or layers
- Be able to use the Standard View or the Layout View
- Be able to insert rows and columns
- Be able to merge cells in a table
- Be able to clear cell heights and cell widths using the menu command or by editing the HTML source code
- Use one column in a table to take up the slack if you want your web page to extend to the whole width of the browser window rather than a specified width in pixels. Examine sites that do this such as microsoft.com
- Be able to use the Property Inspector with tables
- Convert tables to layers.
- View & discuss existing web sites that use frames effectively
- Be able to list the advantages and disadvantages to using frames (see p. 184)
- Examine the HTML source code for a web site that uses frames
- You will not be required to use frames in any web sites that you produce in this course.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using layers to layout the contents of a web page.
- Use the z-index & visibility properties of layers effectively.
- Set a column to "Autostretch" (see p. 179).
- Discuss the user of a spacer.gif (p. 180) to force a column to a minimum width.
- Use layers to layout a Web page and then convert the layers to tables in Dreamweaver
- See glish.com/css for examples of different page layouts with CSS & layers
Review my Basic Design Principles page at my PSU WebPro site.
Analyze selected corporate home pages and predict if the Layout or Standard Design view was used to design the pages.
(if time) Test our logons & passwords to the RACC stuwebsrv server. Go to My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network/Workgroup/stuwebsrv .