RACC VB Class #2 Lecture
Quiz on Ch. 1 Demo Project
#1 (hello world program)
Begin Ch. 1 Lecture
As a class build a demo program that illustrates the Ch.
- rename Form1 as frmMain immediately
- create objects by double-clicking on the Toolbox icons
- move & resize objects on a form
- view an object's properties in the Properties window
- change an object's property by typing directly in the Properties window
- practice visiting the Code window
- view an object's available events
- view all of the VB objects and their properties and methods in the Object
- purposefully mispell a VB keyword causing a bug that leads to Break time
- discuss the differences between compile, run-time, and logic errors
- examine the characteristics of Run time, Design time, and Break time
- practice saving a form and the project into a newly created folder
- view the files that are created as well as their file extensions
Review the VB environment being able to:
- identify and "retrieve" the project explorer, form, & properties windows
as well as the toolbox and toolbar.
- choose Tools/Options/Editor to checkmark the "Default to Full Module
- choose Tools/Options/Editor to checkmark the "Require Variable Declaration"
option (which causes Option Explicit to automatically appear in every project)
- type, save, and execute your first program (Ch.
1 Demo Project #1).
- copy the folder that you created to contain Ch.
1 Demo Project #1 project to a floppy disk
- reload, modify, and execute Ch. 1
Demo Project #1 from a floppy disk.
Introduction of our class mailing list
(if time) Review selected Ch. 1 Review Questions on p. 46
(if time) Complete the "Writing Your First Visual Basic Project"
tutorial that begins on p. 8
(if time) Begin Ch. 2 Lecture
Read ch. 2.
- Read ch. 2 online notes.
- If you have email, subscribe to the class mailing
list. (This is not a requirement for the class, however.)
- Complete the "Writing Your First Visual Basic Project" tutorial
that begins on p. 8
By next Tuesday, write out your answers to Feedback 2.2 questions on p.
By next Tuesday, write out the answers to Ch. 2 Review Questions #1-17
on pp. 79 & 80.
- Study for a possible quiz on concepts discussed during this class as well
as assigned reading.