Web 210 Chapter 10
Objective #1: Understand how to procure a domain name and find a suitable
virtual web server hosting provider.
- Any questions about domain names, hosting providers, & FTP?
Objective #2: Create a Dreamweaver site definition and prepare local
Web pages to be uploaded to a Web server.
Objective #3: Upload a Web site to a Web server
Objective #4: Test your Web pages on the actual Web server.
- User Testing
- have a wide range of other people test your site
- formalize your testing by using replicable testing methods
- develop a feedback form
Objective #5: Make changes to an existing Web site (e.g. moving files,
creating new template-based pages, etc.)
- Expect the need for site maintenance & plan for it
Objective #6: Promote a Web site to popular search engines.
- visit searchenginewatch.com
for search engine ratings and placement
- use meaningful page titles
- place key words towards the top of the text of a page and make sure
they appear frequently
- use meta elements wisely especially the description and keywords attributes
- come up with a 25-word or less set of words that people may type to
search for your site. Do not type out a description of your site.
- learn more at webdeveloper
- search engine placement
- indexes vs. crawlers
- suggest your own site
to Yahoo or pay $300 to be listed more quickly with Yahoo's
- submit your site's home
page & a couple inside pages and a site map to Google; it will take
a month or so to show up in Google queries though
- some search engines like Overture require you to pay money to be listed
- subscribe to a service such as NetMechanic's Search