PRG 240 - Class #6 Lecture
Submit the VB Auto Center program assignment.
Finish discussing Ch. 3.
- Discuss "moving a project" as described on pp. 113 & 114.
- What is the App object?
- How is the App.Path property being used in the ConnectionString for
- Create a project that includes an ADO data control that connects the
AVB.mdb Patients table to the project. Bind a label to the data control
so that it displays the Last Name field of the Patients table. Test the
project and then delete the Connection String on the data control's property
sheet and change adCmdTable to adCmdUnkown. Type the adoPatients part
of the code from the Form_Load event on p. 114. Copy the folder containing
the project to another location on your PC's hard drive and test the project.
If it works, you have successfully made your project portable.
- (OPTIONAL) Execute the Ch03ADODataGridSBS project (see pp. 115-118)
from the CD-ROM.
- You may have to change them from read-only.
- This is the project as described in Figure 3.19 on p. 115.
- Examine & discuss the code for this project.
- Notice the use of the general sub procedure SetRecordNumber
- Execute the Ch03DE1 project (see pp. 122-123) from the CD-ROM.
- This is the project as described in the Figure 3.25 diagram on p. 123.
- (if time) Create your own practice copy of this project in class.
- (if time) Examine & discuss the little bit of code that is associated
with this project.
- (OPTIONAL) Execute the Ch03DE2 project (see pp. 128-129?) from the
- Examine & discuss the code to this project.
- (OPTIONAL) Look at the Data View Window on p. 131 that allows you to add
commands to a data environment by dragging a table or a field from the Data
View Window to a data environment.
- (if time) Discuss the Data Report Designer on pp. 132+.
- Create the Ch03Report project on pp. 133 - 141 as a class. You can finish
this example at home.
(if time) Execute (from CD-ROM) and discuss the Ch. 3 Advanced Vision and Beyond
project pp. 145-152.
(if time) Do Prog. Ex. 3.1 on p. 155 which was assigned for homework. You will
have a quiz related to this exercise at our next class.
(if time) DoProg. Ex. 3.2 on p. 155. You may have a quiz related to this exercise
at a future class.
(if time) Individually begin Ch. 3 VB Auto Center on p. 156.
- Prepare for next week's open-book quiz, which will be modeled on either
Programming Exercise 3.1 from p. 155. You will not have to use command button's.
The user may use the buttons on the ADO data control to navigate the database.
- Finish Programming Exercise 3.1 on p. 155 if necessary.
- Finish Programming Exercise 3.2 on p. 155 if necessary.
- Begin to extend your Ch. 2 VB Auto Center into the Ch. 3 VB Auto Center
project as detailed on p. 156. This project is due on
Mar. 26. In case, we didn't cover it in class, be sure to read
the end of Ch. 3 to learn how to use the Data Report Designer to create the
- Read Ch. 4, pp. 158 - 189.
Copyright © 2001 Curtis Minich. All Rights Reserved.