PRG 240 - Class #14 Lecture
Ch. 10 Lecture & Discussion
- You can include a WebBrowser control in a VB project and use that control's
Navigate method to bring up Web sites in a browser program on the computer.
- You must first use Project/Components to add "Microsoft Internet
Controls" to your project.
- Use the statement
to navigate to http://www.minich.com.
- You must first open a Web browser before you run the code above.
- DHTML Page Designers can be used to create DHTML Web pages.
- DHTML is "Dynamic Hypertext Markup Language" that allows for
certain interactive events not permitted by plain HTML. DHTML can be created
using other authoring tools than VB. However, VB allows you to create
a new DHTML application from the File/New menu command.
- With DHTML processing is done client-side rather than server-side. Therefore,
it allows for faster Web page execution and downloading.
This is similar to using the PropertyBag object of ActiveX Documents that
we studied in Ch. 9.
- However, DHTML (as created in VB) only executes with Internet Explorer
and not with Netscape.
- View the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Msdn98\98vs\1033\Samples\Vb98
sample DHTML application, if available.
- Many of the same objects are available when creating a DHTML application
as with a Standard EXE VB project, however the terminology is different.
- Instead of Command Button there is a Button
- Instead of a Text Box there is a TextField
- Instead of controls, we use elements.
- Instead of properties, we use attributes.
- Instead of the form's Load event, there is a Web page unload event.
- Instead of a Click event, there is an onclick event.
- Instead of a Name property, there is an ID attribute.
- Follow the steps on pp 446 - 454 (or 458 if time allows) to produce
a DHTML Application which we will store in a folder named Ch10DHTML
- Begin by creating a folder named Ch10DHTML
- Use the File/New Project menu command to create a DHTML Application.
- Continue by following the steps on pp. 446+.
Submit Ch. 5 VB Auto Projects
Take the modified MCSD 70-176 Practice Exam.
With some more study your may be able
to become VB certified! Check out transcender.com
and the exam prep books at amazon.com.
Copyright © 2001 Curtis Minich. All Rights Reserved.