Tools, Objects, & Layers Lecture Notes -
Objective #1: Be able to use the Drawing tools
- Line tool - hold down Shift key to constrain to a straight line
- Pen tool
- Text tool
- click a location of the stage and typing will cause text not to be word
- frame out a rectangular area for text and then typing will cause text
to wrap around within the bounded area
- Use the Modify/Break Apart menu command to edit individual letters of
a piece of text
- Oval tool - use Shift key to draw a perfect circle
- Rectangle tool - use Shift key to draw a perfect square
- Pencil tool - Straighten, Smooth, & Ink options as well as stroke pattern
- Brush tool - thickness options
Objective #2: Be able to edit drawings
- Arrow tool - many things that look like one object are really treated as
separate objects. You must use Modify/Group to join independent objects.
- Subselection tool - anchor points to resize and reshape parts of objects.
- Lasso tool - can be used to break apart objects in addition to selecting
- Free Transform tool - scales, skews, & rotates objects
- Fill Transform tool - modify gradient fills. Gradients are found on the
Fill Color tool.
- Ink Bottle - apply a line (stroke) color to objects
- Paint Bucket tool - apply a fill color to an object
- Eyedropper tool - to copy color and other attributes from object to object
- Eraser tool - type & thickness options as well as Faucet option
Objective #3: Be able to work with objects
- use the Modify/Transform menu command to flip, rotate, and scale objects
- use the Modify/Arrange menu command to send objects behind other objects
within the same layer
- use the Modify/Align menu command to align objects
- use the Arrow tool's Arc pointer to add or modify curves with an object
Objective #4: Be able to work with layers
- use the Show Outlines icon to show color coded outlines of objects from
all layers at once
- using Guide layer - The Modify/Layer menu command allows you to make a layer
a guide layer. A guide layer can be used to align and position objects.
- the Distribute to Layers command allows you to break apart a text block
- the Insert/Layer menu command allows you to create folders to organize your
- rename, reorder, hide, lock, & delete layers.